Popular Posts

Sunday, July 26, 2015

Paintings From The Adirondack Preserve NY

Painted en plein air on the way back from Old Forge NY where I picked up a painting I had in a show at THE VIEW. This section of the Moose River is about half way between McKeever NY and Port Leyden NY on Moose River Road, at the southern end of the Adirondack Preserve. The water level was high from recent rains and a deep green color in the shadowed area.. To get this view I had to sit on the bank of the river on a 45 degree slope on exposed tree roots. I used a piece of cardboard and a rain poncho to make a cushion. The dense thee foliage to my back shaded the canvas and made it hard to judge the values on the canvas. At one point I was greeted from behind by a father (Rochester NY) with his teenage daughter and her girl friend from Charlotte NC. They were on an excursion from their cabin a few miles away. He commented on the depth and speed of the water versus last year when they swam out to the rocks.
Moose River Rapids, Adirondacks 11 x 14 inch oil on panel

No comments:

Post a Comment